Member Produced ULB Program
…is designed for producers who are UBCP/ACTRA Members and have a budget of up to $300,000.
- The producer of record must be an Active UBCP/ACTRA Member in good standing
- In recognition of the need for diverse and inclusive casting, the producer commits to a casting process that considers all performers, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, disability, race, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis prohibited by law, subject to legitimate casting requirements.
- Generally, all cast must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents. However, in extraordinary circumstances, where specific conditions are met, UBCP/ACTRA may allow up to one (1) star Performer who is neither a Canadian Citizen nor Permanent Resident. Contact the ULB Administrator for more information.
- Should the production generate revenue, the Producer agrees to pay the Performers an amount equal to 5% of Distributor’s Gross Revenue
- The Producer must pay the Performers a minimum of $200 per day. However, there is no requirement to pay volunteers for background performance
- As Performers are required to be paid, under BC law you must have WorkSafe BC coverage
- Affordable “Accident on Set Insurance” is required for any UBCP/ACTRA Members volunteering as a background performer and is available by contacting AFBS
- Commercial General Liability Insurance is required if stunts are to be performed
Simple Steps to working with Professional Talent
1. Submit Application:
At least five business days prior to first scheduled day of shooting, please submit the following to email@example.com.
- Application form Click here for the application form. To fill form in online please use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome)
- Budget: Please attach a copy of the budget which declares all cash payments and donations in separate columns
- Cast list (click here for a template)
- Crew list
2. Apply for the necessary Insurance:
- WorkSafe BC insurance: Under the Standard ULB Program, Production is required to pay all Performers a minimum of $200 per day of work. Under BC law you are required to contact WCB regarding required employee coverage. Please forward the registration confirmation email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Accident on Set Insurance: If any Union Members are not being paid (i.e.: those in a Background role), Accident on Set insurance is required. Apply for Accident on Set Insurance through AFBS (accidentonset.com) by calling the program administrator in Toronto at 1 800 387-8897, extension 304, or by email email@example.com Once you have been provided with the Accident on Set Certificate, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that it may take up to five business days for AFBS to process insurance applications
If your production requires stunts you will need the following:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL): Productions which include stunts must have Commercial General Liability Insurance. Please see Schedule “A” of the Ultra-Low Budget agreement for the CGL insurance requirements. Please forward the CGL certificate to email@example.com.
- A UBCP/ACTRA approved Stunt Coordinator – Click here for more info on Stunt Coordinators
3. Return signed Agreement:
Once you have completed Steps 1 & 2, UBCP/ACTRA will provide you with the ULB Agreement. Please sign and return it to UBCP/ACTRA.
4. Return signed Performer Forms:
Once you have provided UBCP/ACTRA with the signed ULB Agreement, you will be provided with Performer Forms. Please have all union and non-union Performers (except background performers) sign the forms. Return these signed forms to UBCP/ACTRA along with a final cast list indicating each performer’s name, addresses, SIN, GST (if applicable) and the number of days worked.
Please note: If the production has a distribution agreement in place: Fees in an aggregate amount equal to five percent (5%) of Distributors’ Gross Revenue (the “DGR) shall be issued to the Union for distribution to Performers in the form of Use Fees. The 5% of DGR is shared amongst the Performers based on days worked as provided by the Producer. DGR payments shall be issued to the Union for distribution to Performers in accordance with the Reporting and Payment Procedure of the BCMPA.
Please note: If Performers are required to stay overnight at a distant location: Please contact a ULB Program Administrator at ULBProgram@ubcpactra.ca or 604-689-0727 for further information regarding the expenses and requirements associated with shooting at distant locations.
Back to ULB Budget Program