Student ULB Program
…may be accessed by students who are producing for course credit or as part of their school curriculum.
• All cast must be Canadian Citizens, Permanent Residents, or International Students cast as part of their program credit
• In recognition of the need for diverse and inclusive casting, the producer commits to a casting process that considers all performers, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, disability, race, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis prohibited by law, subject to legitimate casting requirements.
• Performers may negotiate a session fee or may agree to waive their fees (excluding Distributors Gross Revenue)
• Should the production generate revenue, the Producer agrees to pay the Performers an amount equal to 5% of Distributor’s Gross Revenue
• Affordable “Accident on Set Insurance” is required for any unpaid UBCP/ACTRA Members and is available by contacting AFBS
• WorkSafeBC coverage is required by BC law for any paid performers
• Commercial General Liability Insurance is required if stunts are to be performed. The school’s Commercial General Liability Insurance may be
extended to the production
Simple Steps to working with Professional Talent
1. Submit Application:
At least five business days prior to first scheduled day of shooting, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Application form click here for the application form. (To fill form in online please use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome)
- Budget: Please attach a copy of the budget which declares all cash payments and donations in separate columns
- Cast list (click here for a template)
- Crew list
2. Apply for the necessary insurance:
- Accident on Set Insurance: If Union Members are not being paid, Accident on Set insurance is required. Apply for Accident on Set Insurance through AFBS (accidentonset.ca) by calling the program administrator in Toronto at 1 800 387-8897, extension 304, or by email email@example.com Once you have been provided with the Accident on Set Certificate, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that it may take up to five business days for AFBS to process insurance applications
- WorkSafeBC insurance: If you are paying a Performer, under BC law you are required to contact WCB regarding required employee coverage. Please forward the registration confirmation email to email@example.com.
If your production requires stunts you will need the following:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL): Productions which include stunts must have Commercial General Liability Insurance. Please see Schedule “A” of the Ultra-Low Budget agreement for the CGL insurance requirements. Please forward the CGL certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A UBCP/ACTRA approved Stunt Coordinator – Click here for more info on Stunt Coordinators
3. Return signed Agreement:
Once you have completed Steps 1 & 2, UBCP/ACTRA will provide you with the Student Film ULB Agreement. Please sign and return it to UBCP/ACTRA.
4. Return signed Performer Forms:
Once you have provided UBCP with the signed Student Film ULB Agreement, you will be provided with Performer Forms. Please have all union and non-union Performers (except background performers) sign the forms. Return these signed forms to UBCP along with a final cast list indicating each performer’s name, addresses, SIN, GST (if applicable) and the number of days worked.
Please note: Productions which include stunts: Productions which include stunts must have Commercial General Liability Insurance. If your production includes stunts, please forward a copy of your CGLI certificate to UBCP at the time you send in your application. Note, some schools may extend their Comprehensive General Liability Coverage to your production. Please check with your school.
Back to ULB Budget Program