The Canada Emergency Response Benefit provides temporary income support to employed or self-employed workers who have stopped working and are without employment or self-employment income for reasons related to COVID-19. The new Canada Emergency Response Benefit is paid in blocks of four weeks in the amount of $2,000, which is equivalent to $500 per week.
The Benefit is available to workers:
- Residing in Canada, who are at least 15 years old;
- Who have stopped working because of reasons related to COVID-19 or are eligible for Employment Insurance regular or sickness benefits or have exhausted their Employment Insurance regular benefits or Employment Insurance
- Who had employment and/or self-employment income of at least $5,000 in 2019 or in the 12 months prior to the date of their application; and,
- Who have not quit their job voluntarily.
- Who earned $1,000 or less during an eligibility period.
If your situation continues past 4 weeks, you will need to apply for the CERB again. The benefit is available from March 15 2020 to October 3, 2020 and you can apply until December 2, 2020. MORE INFORMATION ON CERB CAN BE FOUND HERE.
However, you may only re-apply for up to a total of 16 weeks. Because of this, your union is advocating to government to extend the maximum benefit cap. Please add your voice to our campaign by signing this petition.