40 Under Indie ULB Program
…is designed for projects with a total budget of $40,000 or less.
• Generally, all cast must be Canadian Citizens or Permanent Residents. However, in extraordinary circumstances, where specific conditions are met, UBCP/ACTRA may allow up to one (1) star Performer who is neither a Canadian Citizen nor Permanent Resident. Contact the ULB Administrator for more information.
• In recognition of the need for diverse and inclusive casting, the producer commits to a casting process that considers all performers, regardless of age, sex, ethnicity, disability, race, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other basis prohibited by law, subject to legitimate casting requirements.
• After recouping the total production budget, the Producer shall pay 20% of Distributor’s Gross Revenue which will be shared amongst the Performers
• Performers may negotiate a session fee or may agree to waive their fees (excluding Distributors Gross Revenue)
• Affordable “Accident on Set Insurance” is required for any unpaid UBCP/ACTRA Members and is available by contacting AFBS
• WorkSafeBC coverage is required by BC law for any paid performers
• Commercial General Liability Insurance is required if stunts are to be performed
Simple Steps to working with Professional Talent:
1. Submit Application:
At least five business days prior to first scheduled day of shooting, please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Application form – click here. (To fill form in online please use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome)
- Budget: Please attach a copy of the budget which declares all cash payments and donations in separate columns
- Cast list (click here for a template)
- Crew list
2. Apply for the necessary insurance:
- Accident on Set Insurance: If Union Members are not being paid, Accident on Set insurance is required. Apply for Accident on Set Insurance through AFBS (accidentonset.com) by calling the program administrator in Toronto at 1 800 387-8897, extension 304, or by email email@example.com Once you have been provided with the Accident on Set Certificate, please email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that it may take up to five (5) business days for AFBS to process insurance applications and their office hours are Monday to Thursday 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM ET
- WorkSafeBC insurance: If you are paying a Performer, under BC law you are required to contact WCB regarding required employee coverage. Please forward the registration confirmation email to email@example.com.
If your production requires stunts you will need the following:
- Commercial General Liability (CGL): Productions which include stunts must have Commercial General Liability Insurance. Please see Schedule “A” of the Ultra-Low Budget agreement for the CGL insurance requirements. Please forward the CGL certificate to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A UBCP/ACTRA approved Stunt Coordinator – Click here for more info on Stunt Coordinators
3. Return the signed Agreement:
Once you have completed Steps 1 and 2, UBCP/ACTRA will provide you with the 40 Under Indie ULB Agreement. Please sign and return it to UBCP/ACTRA.
4. Return signed Performer Forms:
Once you have provided UBCP/ACTRA with the signed 40 Under Indie Agreement, you will be provided with Performer Forms. Please have all union and non-union Performers (except background performers) sign the forms. Return these signed forms to UBCP/ACTRA along with a final cast list indicating each Performer’s name, addresses, SIN, GST (if applicable) and the number of days worked.
Please note: If the production has a distribution agreement in place: Fees in an aggregate amount equal to twenty percent (20%) of Distributors’ Gross Revenue (the “DGR) shall be issued to the Union for distribution to Performers, provided that no amounts shall be paid until such time as the Producer’s Total Production Cash Cost is recouped from the Distributor’s Gross Revenue. The 20% of DGR is shared amongst the Performers based on days worked as provided by the Producer. DGR payments shall be issued to the Union for distribution to Performers in accordance with the Reporting and Payment Procedure of the BCMPA.
Please note: If Performers are required to stay overnight at a distant location: Please contact a ULB Program Administrator at email@example.com. or 604-689-0727 for further information regarding the expenses and requirements associated with shooting at distant locations.
Back to ULB Budget Program